ARAPAHOE PUBLIC MIRROR
The first newspaper established in Arapahoe was in 1879 was The Pioneer by Charles D. Blauvelt.
As the story goes, one of the paper’s employes, Chas. Reed, in May 1882 was induced by the Democrats of Furnas county to establish another newspaper as their official mouth piece. Apparently any other papers in the county were edited by Republicans. Thus, the Arapahoe Public Mirror came into being.
Charles D. Blauvelt was owner of the Mirror when purchased by the Walter H. Cox. When acquired in 1915, the paper was handset and housed in a 25x50 building, two-thirds of which was given over to a stationery and school supply business. The new owner immediately installed a Linotype and the stationery store was gradually crowded out by expanding printing activity. Ralph Cox became the sole publisher of the Mirror in the 1920’s.
In 1924, the Holbrook Observer (located six miles west of Arapahoe) was purchased and for some years a separate plant was maintained in the village.
Since 1915, the plant in Arapahoe moved three times and is now located in its own 25-150 building. The paper was printed on a Miehle press at the Arapahoe office.
The Cox family owned the Arapahoe Public Mirror and Holbrook Observer for 54 years when it was purchased by Allen Gaskill and Norm Taylor in 1968. During Gaskill’s ownership, the papers were converted to the offset method of printing, as they transported the paper’s layout to the McCook Gazette for printing.
In 1970, Luis Uzuenta bought out Gaskill and in 1972 he purchased the remaining interest from Taylor. On June 1, 1974, Ted and Cherridah Gill purchased the publications.
In January of 1995, Gayle Schutz and her husband, Brad, joined Ted and Cherridah Gill as owners of the newspapers.
The Elwood Bulletin is the only newspaper being published in Gosper County and is considered one of the oldest businesses operated continuously, in Elwood. Harry E. Moore started the business on August 6, 1896 as The Elwood Bulletin. It was published under that name until October 29, 1896 when it was shortened to The Bulletin. Moore was publisher of the paper until June of 1900 when Nestor Rummons became the proprietor and editor: with H. R. Johnson, foreman.
Rummons sold the business to C. F. Smith in March of 1901 and on August 27, 1908 the name was changed back to The Elwood Bulletin. Smith was a newspaper man all his life. He and a partner started the Perkins County Sentinel at Grant. He owned a paper at Ord and operated a job printing plant in Kearney before coming to Elwood. Smith published the paper until his death in December of 1915.
Claude Smith became publisher of the Elwood Bulletin following the death of his father. He, too, grew up in newspaper shops and had been employed at various newspapers in Iowa. Colorado and Nebraska.. From 1912-1915 he was co-owner and publisher of The Holdrege Progress. His association with The Elwood Bulletin was from 1915 to 1948 when he passed away unexpectedly.
Mervin and Mary Deck were in the process of buying the Bulletin and operated the paper while the sale was being completed. They became the owners and publishers on July 22, 1948. Decks had moved to Elwood from Red Cloud where Merv had been employed in the town’s newspaper for six years. Prior to that he was employed by the Franklin County Sentinel for 12 years.
Merv and Mary sold the business to C. Don Harpst of Cambridge on August 1, 1969. Harpet had been publisher of the Cambridge Clarion for 23 years. After purchasing the business he changed the pross from typesetting on the linotype to offset printing. Due to ill health Harpst sold the business back to Merv and Mary Deck on July 16, 1970.
Decks continued running the business and on May 28, 1975 hired Terry Sutherland as managing editor.
T.M. and Cherridah M. Gill of Arapahoe took possession of the Elwood Bulletin on July 5, 1978. They had vast experience in the newspaper business owning the Arapahoe Public Mirror and The Holbrook Observer. T.M. and Cherridah continued operating the other papers and their son, A. B. (Bud) Gill served as managing editor of the Bulletin until August 1, 1980 when Lisa Gill and David Walker became co-editors. Walker termated his association with the Bulletin on August 12, 1981.
Lisa Gill continued with the Bulletin through the early 1980's then the Gayle Gill Schutz joined the Bulletin as it's editor and continues today as co-publisher with Karen Schutz as the editor.
Through the years, the Public Mirror and the Bulletin have gone through many changes. From the early publication being printed "in-house" and running an offset press shop. We have survived the years of developing pictures in a dark room, through the Compugraphic years and paste-up, through the use of chemicals and wax machines, through the ups and downs of the business. We are at the stage of being completely using computers and digital cameras, sending our newspaper to our printer through the internet and developing on-line publications that are another chapter of the newsapaper business.